COLUMNIST / BLOGS
Saving for Retirement
Planning Your Retirement - The articles offered here guide you through the entire retirement process, from the importance of saving to financial security guidelines and useful tax information. Check out our Podcasts, calculators and Financial Tips, too.
- The Importance of Saving - There are many things to consider when saving for the future. The most fundamental factors are to save early and save more.
- Fundamentals of Retirement Planning - Most people identify a financially secure retirement as one of their primary financial goals.
- Beginning to Think About Retirement Planning - Any discussion on retirement planning ultimately comes down to a few basic issues.
- Four Components of a Financially Secure Retirement - Most people identify a financially secure retirement as one of their primary financial goals.
- Do IRA and 401(k) Contributions Still Make Sense? - In almost every case, the answer is a resounding YES
- Reviewing Your Options for a Retirement Plan Distribution - If you are changing jobs, retiring or being terminated from a job, it is natural to undergo stress and anxiety. Usually, these changes are also accompanied by receiving a distribution from your employer's retirement plan.
- Rethinking Retirement - Several things to think about when it comes to retirement.
- Add $100,000 to Your Retirement Savings - How do you have an additional $100,000 accumlated by retirement age?
- Useful Income Tax and Retirement Planning Information - There have been several major tax law changes over the past few years with staggered effective dates.
- Seven Ways to Plan for Retirement - Accumulating the funds you will need for a financially secure retirement can be difficult.
- Retirement Planning Checklist - Make sure you go to the Human Resource Department or see the Business Manager to handle some of the financial details of your job.
- How Long Will My Money Last? - Most financial and retirement planning efforts focus on analyzing how much money you will need at retirement or want to accumulate by a particular date.
- 401(k) Savings Calculator - A 401(k) can be one of your best tools for creating a secure retirement. Use this calculator to see why this is a retirement savings plan you cannot afford to pass up.
- 401(k) Savings with Profit Sharing - Use this calculator to show how a 401(k) with profit sharing plan can help you save for retirement.
- How long will my retirement savings last? - Use this calculator to see how long your retirement savings will last based on your retirement savings and your inflation adjusted withdrawals.
- Retirement Account Contribution Accelerator - Use this calculator to see how increasing your contributions to a qualified retirement plan can help save for your retirement.
- Retirement Nestegg Calculator - Do you know how much it takes to create a secure retirement? Use this calculator to help determine what size your retirement nestegg should be.
- Roth IRA Conversion - This calculator will show the advantage, if any, of converting your IRA to a Roth.
- Forget Returns - Focus on What You Can Control - There are two things that you can control: How much you save and how much risk you take.
- If You Want More Money for Retirement, Consider Downsizing Your Home - Downsizing your home can help you spend less on taxes and maintenance, which means more money to put into your retirement accounts.
- Consider Your Personal Inflation Rate - Keeping your personal inflation rate low will allow you to better estimate your retirement savings needs. Consider these tips.
- Plan to Withdraw Wisely - Getting the most from your retirement savings involves creating a spending plan.
- Should You Get a Reverse Mortgage? - Five Disadvantages of Reverse Mortgages.
Retirement Plan Options - Here is everything you need to know about choosing retirement programs that best fit your needs. Learn about IRAs and Roth IRAs, 401(k) plans, government pension risks, conversion opportunities, required retirement plan withdrawals and much more.
- An IRA Refresher - The almost-annual changes to the income tax laws have created confusion about Individual Retirement Accounts (IRAs).
- Maximize the Value of Your IRA - Individual retirement accounts (IRAs) continue to be one of the most powerful ways to accumulate funds for a financially secure retirement for a multitude of reasons.
- IRA or Roth IRA? - The Roth IRA offers some advantages over the traditional IRA but comes with some limitations.
- Is a Roth IRA Conversion Right For You? - Individual Retirement Accounts (IRAs) are part of a financially secure retirement for many people.
- Good Retirement Planning News - Changing the Social Security program continues to be a hotly debated topic.
- Can $6,000 IRA Contributions Really Add Up? - It can be easy to put off or fail to make contributions to an IRA.
- Take Full Advantage of Your Employer's 401(k) Plan - Longer life spans, more active retirements, rising costs and uncertainty over Social Security make the need for a substantial retirement nest-egg greater than ever.
- New Roth IRA Conversion Opportunity - This is an important tax and estate planning opportunity that many may find attractive.
- Taking Advantage of Non-Deductible IRA Contributions and Roth Conversions - Learn the advantages and drawbacks of a Roth IRA.
- When Should You Roll Over a 401(k)? - Odds are that at some point you will have the option of rolling over your 401k. Here are two reasons you should.
- Required Retirement Plan Withdrawals - Your retirement plan has a required withdrawal date where you will start receiving payment.
- Build a Contribution Cushion - If you are undecided how much percentage to put away for your 401(k) plan, select the maximum if you can.
- Playing Catch Up - This article is takling about current catch-up contribution limits on all retirement plans.
Investing for Retirement - Assure a secure retirement by making smart investment decisions now. Read about premium tax-deferred annuities, target-date funds and life annuities - and discover what type of investment isn't a good idea!
- Understanding Fixed Annuities - Consider using fixed annuities as part of your overall retirement plan strategy.
- Being Wise With Your Retirement Investments - The funds you have saved for your retirement deserve special attention.
- IRAs for Teens - Few teenagers think much about retirement, but funding an Individual Retirement Account may be one of the best financial steps they will ever take.
- Funding Your IRA the Easy Way With an Automatic Savings Plan - Your Individual Retirement Account (IRA) is one of the four main components of a financially secure retirement.
- Stay on your Retirement Track with Target-Date Funds - The fund strategy is to gradually adjust the investment mix to correlate with your changing investment needs.
- Life Annuities Can Create a Hedge against Longevity - To offset at least a portion of longevity risk you may want to think about setting up a life annuity.
- Give Your Retirement Plan a Boost with Dividends - Here is why dividend stocks are essential for your retirement portfolio.
- Retirement Planning is More than Just Saving - There is much more to planning for retirement than just savings.
Your Social Security Benefits - Navigate the intricacies of the Social Security system with the information in this section. Learn the basics of reviewing your SS record, retirement benefits, balancing social security payments with income and understanding your SS statement.
- Understanding the Social Security System - The Social Security System has been a large and visible part of the American financial system since the 1930s.
- Review Your Social Security Record - Social Security benefits will probably be a major source of your retirement income.
- Retirement Benefits From Social Security - Social Security benefits will probably be an important source of income once you retire.
- When Should You Consider Starting to Take Social Security Retirement Benefits? - There are several factors you should consider before taking your Social Security Retirement Benefits.
- Should I Wait to Take My Social Security Benefits? - Delaying the start of receiving benefits may increase the monthly amount you receive.
- Social Security - How Much Will You Receive? - The bigger question is how much will I receive when I am ready to take my benefits?
- Understand your Social Security Statement - It is good to understand your Social Security Statement.
- Give Yourselves a Social Security Income Bonus - Learn about your social security options as part of your retirement planning.
Retirement Planning Mistakes to Avoid - Don't undercut a secure retirement. This section offers guidance on early IRA withdrawals, borrowing from your 401(k) plan, IRA opportunities and taking early benefits.
- Taking Money Out of Your IRA - Here are some general rules on how funds coming out of a traditional IRA accounts are treated for income tax purposes.
- Handling Your First Retirement Plan Distribution When Changing Jobs - What you do with your lump sum distribution funds and how you handle the it is important.
- Do Not Ignore IRA Opportunities - Your Individual Retirement Account can be part of the foundation of a financially secure retirement.
- Should You Borrow from Your 401k? - If you have a 401k plan, you may be able to become a lender and borrower, but you should proceed with caution.
- Your Home May Not be the Asset You Think - If your retirement plan includes money you can draw from your home, falling prices can dramatically impact your retirement.
- Should You Take Social Security Benefits Early? - Delaying the start of receiving benefits may increase the monthly amount you receive.
- Live Like a Retiree - Consider downsizing now before your retirement.