COLUMNIST / BLOGS
Home > SECURITY CENTER > Fraud Alerts > Fraud Alerts
Brought to you by the Federal Bureau of Investigation’s Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) Scam Alerts.
Learn about the different activities criminals use to take advantage of you and steal your identity. While some of these alerts are not new, they are still very relevant and important today.
- For-Profit Companies Charging Sextortion Victims for Assistance and Using Deceptive Tactics to Elicit Payments - The FBI is warning the public of for—profit companies offering sextortion victims “assistance” services.
- Criminals Pose as Chinese Authorities to Target US-based Chinese Community - The FBI warns of criminal actors posing as Chinese law enforcement officials or prosecutors in financial fraud schemes targeting the US-based Chinese community.
- Potential Fraud Schemes Targeting Individuals Seeking Federal Student Loan Forgiveness - The FBI warns of the potential for fraudulent websites, e-mails, texts, or phone scams aiming to defraud individuals seeking federal student loan forgiveness.
- Criminal Actors Leverage Rideshare Vehicles to Abduct Minors - The FBI warns the public and rideshare companies of criminal actors leveraging rideshare vehicles to abduct minor victims.
- Scammers Using Computer-Technical Support Impersonation Scams to Target Victims and Conduct Wire Transfers - As recently as October 2022, the FBI observed several instances nationwide of scammers conducting computer-technical support scams
- Cryptocurrency Investment Schemes - The FBI Miami Field Office, in coordination with the Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3)
- Significant Increase in IRS-themed Smishing Campaigns - Beginning in the Fall of 2020, IRS's Online Fraud Detection & Prevention (OFDP)
- Cybercriminals Tampering with QR Codes to Steal Victim Funds - The FBI is issuing this announcement to raise awareness of malicious Quick Response (QR) codes.
- Scammers Exploit Security Weaknesses on Job Recruitment Websites to Impersonate Legitimate Businesses, Threatening Company Reputation and Defrauding Job Seekers - The FBI warns that malicious actors or ’scammers’ continue to exploit security weaknesses on job recruitment websites
- The FBI Warns of Fraudulent Schemes Leveraging Cryptocurrency ATMs and QR Codes to Facilitate Payment - The FBI warns the public of fraudulent schemes leveraging cryptocurrency ATMs and Quick Response (QR) codes to facilitate payment.
This website and the articles contained within are provided as a free service to you and for general informational purposes only. Information on this website is not intended to provide legal, accounting, tax or other advice. Please consult your attorney, accountant, or financial or other advisor with regard to your individual situation. We also make no warranty or representation regarding, and do not endorse, any linked websites or the information appearing there.
Small Business Resources Copyright © 2023 All Rights Reserved